6 replies to this topic

#1 the barefoot gardener

the barefoot gardener

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:34 PM

Well, I looked for a better place to put this but don't see any place to post special holiday subjects.
So here's hoping this gets some reactions.

I've had plans to put up lots and lots of Christmas lights around my yard. Lights are the only Christmas decor that I want this year.
But we have a huge number of squirrels around here and they are voracious!
I'm told that there is a big problem with our squirrels chewing into extension cords and Christmas light wires and even chewing up the little Christmas light bulbs.
One neighbor has so many lights and decorations out, he is shooting at the squirrels to try to discourage their chewing into them.

I don't want to do anything to harm these squirrels, but would sure like to light up my yard without having all of my work destroyed.

Before I spend the time stringing lights thru the trees and fences, is there any sure fired way to keep squirrels from chewing them all up?

#2 z5guy

z5guy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

umm first qestion is, why would you want to stop them! lol let the little buggers fry! no j/k, am i? anyways you could always buy yourself a cougar or other killing machine or just put a life sized cardboard cut out of David Bowie in the yard, that should scare em!

#3 boo

boo

Mod Squad

• Lurker
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Quad Cities

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:29 PM

:well:

Barefoot, that's a real dilemma. I have no idea how you keep them from the wiring. I can't imagine you would want to take the time to rub garlic along the wires:lol:, but there is a spray they is suppose to keep critters from chewing.

The kind we have is called Bitter Barrier.

#4 cmstubbe320

cmstubbe320

Advanced Member

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

Wow, I hope my squirrels don't catch onto this. I've never had a problem with them eating my wires and such. I have absolutely no idea what to tell you to do. Maybe put some corn out for them to distract them?

#5 the barefoot gardener

the barefoot gardener

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

Wow, I hope my squirrels don't catch onto this. I've never had a problem with them eating my wires and such. I have absolutely no idea what to tell you to do. Maybe put some corn out for them to distract them?

I put out birdfood, broken corn and sunflower seeds, plenty enough for the birds and squirrels to share.

I love sqirrels, love watching them frolic and play, but the heart wants what it wants, and this heart wants to be able to have Christmas lights for a few weeks, undisturbed by squirrels and other critters.

I read an article of a woman who wanted to keep the squirrels from eating the birds food that she puts out, so she puts pepper in with it. She says the birds aren't bothered by the pepper, but the squirrels won't touch it.

I guess I could spray all of the lines with a pepper type spray.
Maybe too I should try to understand the why's and wherefore's of these squirrels destruction.

The owners of the park where I live, are having no luck keeping the squirrels from chewing up all of their Christmas lights and bulbs.
They've decorated the entire front section of the park, every year adding more lights (every tree has lights wound around it) and inflated this and that with all manner of animated things lit up and moving, and fences wound with strings of lights. A couple of acres of a Hansel and Gretal North Pole winter fairyland.
It's lovely.
We're off the beaten path here, just outside of a podunk town that you'd miss if you blink your eye. Basically, we've always been "up country". But civilization is moving into our neck of the woods fast.
And I think our squirrels are out to try to save their habitat.

We never had much in the way of destruction problems from any of the wild critter around here. But just this past year the squirrels have started chewing into everything left outside that's plastic. I can't help but wonder if it isn't the squirrels getting even for more and more humans having moved into and taken over what has always been their "space."

Maybe to a squirrel, their whole sky being lit up every night is keeping their baby's awake, and wires going up and down trees hamper their ability to scamper up with nuts they carry to store, and they get frustrated at having to dodge cars that are now driving hither and thither thru their forests. And the noise level in our park, while still can be considered quiet in today's terms, must seem to a squirrel, who is used to a quiet forest, to be a fearsome intrusion. A vast predator.
They're fighting for their way of life.

#6 OSunshine

OSunshine

power user

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts
  • Ft. Walton Bch,Fl.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Using a hot pepper dusting or spraying to deter squirrels from eating bird food does work.Birds don't have saliva so peppers don't "burn their tongue".Squirrels on the other hand do produce saliva so they get to experience the full heat of whatever pepper you use.I use cayenne.It's hot enough and won't harm the squirrels,it just teaches them not to eat the seed or in your case chew the wires.Before I read your last response I was going to tell you to make a cayenne pepper spray and try spraying the wires and plugs as a deterent.I've heard that they chew off the plug ends for acorns.If that's the case you might be doing them a favor.You would have to reapply after it rains,but,eventually I think you'll get the desired results.

#7 prh

prh

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

Using a hot pepper dusting or spraying to deter squirrels from eating bird food does work.Birds don't have saliva so peppers don't "burn their tongue".Squirrels on the other hand do produce saliva so they get to experience the full heat of whatever pepper you use.I use cayenne.It's hot enough and won't harm the squirrels,it just teaches them not to eat the seed or in your case chew the wires.Before I read your last response I was going to tell you to make a cayenne pepper spray and try spraying the wires and plugs as a deterent.I've heard that they chew off the plug ends for acorns.If that's the case you might be doing them a favor.You would have to reapply after it rains,but,eventually I think you'll get the desired results.

Now,this is cool and I think I'll have myself a good run doing this! ( lots of squirrels in my neck of the woods to teach ) Thanks!!! :P