#1 boo

boo

Mod Squad

• Lurker
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Quad Cities

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

My hardy hibiscus self seed and since the bed is pretty crowded the seedling had a chance to grow. I'm actually surprised that Cliff hadn't ripped it out. Anyway it has small flowers which would be a dud if you wanted the dinner plate, but actually since the flowers are smaller the plants stay more erect and I think the flowers are actually kind of pretty. I imagine it would look kind of pretty in a couple of years when the plant is full of blooms.

Now since I'm doing things ass backwards today, I'll go out and take a picture. I just wanted to tell you about it. Use your imagination. :P Wait no :lol: wait for my picture otherwise some of you will be disappointed in the actual photo.

#2 blue belle

blue belle

Advanced Member

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

Uh yeah, Boo, they're very... pretty. :unsure:
___

#3 boo

boo

Mod Squad

• Lurker
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Quad Cities

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

:lol::lol: :P

Hey look blue, they're blue. :)

[ATTACH]12100[/ATTACH]

#4 blue belle

blue belle

Advanced Member

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Well, you said to use my imagination. lol

Oooo, that's pretty!

#5 sashweezy

sashweezy

Mod Squad

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

Very pretty, Boo.:) What's it's name and how hardy is it? I only have the one that I posted yesterday but it blooms so late that I've never had a seed pod. Of course, it didn't help that the squirrels ate the buds last year just before they opened.

#6 boo

boo

Mod Squad

• Lurker
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts
  • Quad Cities

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

:unsure: I haven't named it. Its a baby from hardy hibiscus, Blue Moon.

#7 jennie

jennie

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,968 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

What a pretty little flower!

#8 cmstubbe320

cmstubbe320

Advanced Member

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Cute little thing! Are you going to let it grow up one day?

#9 grindle

grindle

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,626 posts
  • UK

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

that's a nice surprise for you, I'm still trying to get these to grow, and work out just what ones are hardy, is Lemon Slice? or do I need to overwinter that one, I have one tiny seedling of a burgundy one too. I'm trying so hard to get some to grow :(

#10 sneezie

sneezie

Sneezie

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts
  • Altoona, Pa.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

My hibiscus I planted from seed this year is growing great, but no buds. Do they bloom the first year?

#11 sashweezy

sashweezy

Mod Squad

• Mod Squad
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:06 PM

:unsure: I haven't named it. Its a baby from hardy hibiscus, Blue Moon.

Thanks, I think. :lol:

Grindle, I think Leomon Slice is considered a tender hibiscus. It most certainly is in my zone.

#12 MrSeedy

MrSeedy

Advanced Member

• Power User
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,537 posts
  • Port Huron, Mi 48060

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

I was really quite surprised when the first of my "selfseeded" ones showed up and thought perhaps I'd gotten a misplaced seed mixed in with some other types of seeds years back, but it was more surprising since the parents were that bright red Southern Belle or Disco Belle (can't remember which now) grown from seed twenty two years ago, and those offspring were still very large for a F2 strain from hybrid parents, and a lovely almost solid white with pink near the borders of the petals. I'd not part with those and completely free of course! Very lovely one there boo, and congrats!

I forgot to mention, regardning the question about blooming the first year from seed, that many years ago, before all the much larger hybrids were developed, it seemed that they took at least two years from seed grown outdoors to bloom, but the modern seed strains offered, mostly , if started indoors a couple months early from seed under gro-lites or in a bright window, do usually bloom the very first summer, as mine did. The gro-lite did help and three months headstart most likely, though a bright window probably would work just as well.